Sunday, December 5, 2010

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

book cover of 
When You Reach Me 
by
Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Published by Wendy Lamb Books: 2009
2010 Newbery Medal Winner
Novel

Summary:
This novel follows a sixth grade girl named Miranda through a story she is telling. Miranda is writing a letter to someone, but we do not know who to, or realize what the story is till the end of the book. It starts with Miranda waiting her mother’s upcoming appearance on the $20,000 pyramid. We start with Miranda and Sal who begin to grow distant after Sal is punched on the way home from school one day. Miranda then begins to meet new friends in school, but still longs for her friendship with Sal. Soon after she begins receiving mysterious notes that she does not yet understand. These mysterious notes contain information that no one should know and hint that Miranda will play a part in preventing the death of someone close to here. Follow Miranda as she tells her story of these life changing events.

Response:
I found this book very interesting overall and it was not until the conclusion of the book did I truly come to appreciate the story. Multiple times throughout the story Madeleine L’Engle’s classic A Wrinkle In Time is referenced. However, since I have never read this story I was unable to appreciate this connection. I found the character of Miranda to be very relatable and her friendship struggles very real. The process of growing apart from old friends and gaining new friends is an experience I think most can relate to. I found the patterns in the chapter headings very amusing, and liked how it tied in with her mother’s appearance on the $20,000 pyramid.

For the Reader:
It is a fun and easy read that I think would be appropriate for young readers starting around Gr. 3. I did not find this book amazing by any standard despite the fact it won the 2010 Newberry Medal (which definitely heightened my expectations). However, after reading the book once I think a reader could gain more out of it with a second reading to the nature and organization of the story.   

No comments:

Post a Comment