Sunday, December 5, 2010

Knots in My Yo-yo String by Jerry Spinelli


Knots in My Yo-yo String by Jerry Spinelli
Published by Alfred A. Knopf: 1998
Non-fiction

Summary:
In this autobiography Jerry Spinelli shares with readers’ highlights and moments from his past. Through the book you get to know a little bit more about who Spinelli really is and where he came from. From his first home, first pet, first grade, first punch, first girlfriend Spinelli shares many firsts with his readers, his love for sports, and how he came to write. Spinelli guides us through the ups and downs in his life – the knots in his yo-yo string – and how he learned to untie them.

Response:
I am not big on biographies, but I really enjoyed this one. Jerry Spinelli tells his story as if it were truly a story. The wonderful thing about this book is that Spinelli is so normal and comes from such a normal background. Spenelli has included personal photos throughout the book which I felt made his story all that more real and helps to show that he is a real person. There are so many things that I could relate to in his story it was amazing. I mean even Jerry Spinelli hated taking out the trash! One thing I found very interesting was how he did so little reading and writing as a child and while he grew up. I sort of assumed it was one of those things you are born with and always do, but it took a while for him to really embrace his calling and passion.

For the Reader:
I would recommend this book for upper elementary children starting at around grade four. One of the neat things about this book is that I think it would really appeal to the boys. Jerry was a typical boy growing up who loved sports, rode his bike, and loved his dog. Many of his stories will be easy for young boys to relate to and it may be a good opportunity to hook them on reading (as Spinelli wishes he had read more) and writing. Also, since I have read some of his books in the past, it was neat to see how his childhood and past have influenced and been reflected in his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment