Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Princess and the Pea by Hans Christian Anderson read by Natasha


The Princess and the Pea by Hans Christian Anderson read by Natasha
Audio Book

Summary:
This is the story of a prince looking for a princess. Not just any princess however, but a true princess. The Prince searches far and wide for a true princess to marry, but cannot find one. One day a girl shows up at the palace gate seeking shelter from the rain. She claimed to be a true princess, but the queen was not sure. To test the princess the queen placed a pea beneath twenty mattresses and twenty quilts. If the girl was a true princess she would feel the pea. The next morning the queen asked if the princess had slept well; the princess had not. So it was confirmed that she was a true princess and married the prince.

Response:
I have never really been interested by the story of the Princess and the Pea. It is not a typical fairy tale that one would expect. It is very short and sweet, but for the most point I just don’t get it. Since the girl is super sensitive this makes her a princess? Personally I really cannot make any sense of this. It has been a very long time since I have heard this story and I thought that now since I am apparently much older and wiser I would finally get it. Sadly, I still don’t.

For the Reader:
This particular audio book uses the old English language that would have been used in the time of Hans Christian Anderson. Since it is a different form of language to what we are used to today, it may be difficult for some young children to fully comprehend. Also, the lady who reads the story is British and has a definite British accent. This may compound with the old language to make it even more difficult for some children to understand. Personally, I loved the accent as I felt it added a regal feeling to the story, as if it were being read to a real princess or queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment